Morrocan Potato Cakes- Maakouda Batata
(Total time = 1 hr 10 mins)
Maakouda Batata are potato fritters or cakes. The original recipe is traditionally from the cuisine of Morocco. These potato cakes are popular in most parts of the country as a street food.
You can enjoy Maakouda Batata as a nice appetizer or side dish. This particular recipe is a classic one as I inherited it from my grandmother and it is properly seasoned with sauteed garlic, onions, cumin and cilantro. You can also add turmeric to give the food a nice color.
Maakouda Batata can be described as spicy and crispy. You can enjoy it any-
time of the day. Enjoy this dish with Moroccan Mint tea.
3 to 4 cloves garlic – pressed
1 medium onion – finely chopped
5 potatoes, medium-sized
1 to 2 tbsp butter
1½ tbsp. cumin
2 tsp salt
¼ cup cilantro – properly chopped
½ tsp pepper, or to taste
2 eggs, beaten
Optional: 1 tsp turmeric
How to Make It (Yield = 6 cakes)
▪ Step 1 Peel potatoes and put them in a pot with lid. Add water, cover it and
then boil until you can insert a sharp knife halfway through the potato.
▪ Step 2 Drain water from the pot and then place potatoes in a bath with ice
water, so as to stop cooking. Leave it to cool and you can also chill for some
▪ Step 3 In a skillet, melt butter and add the chopped onions. Sauté gently for 10 mins over medium heat. Add garlic and then sauté again for 1 min. Remove skillet from heat.
▪ Step 4 Grate the boiled potatoes and then transfer them to a large bowl. Add the spices, onions, and cilantro. Now stir in sufficient egg to properly bind the potatoes.
▪ Step 5 Shape them into cakes. Over high flame, fry them in Veg oil for 10
mins (each side).
You can also use a oven by setting it to 400°F and leaving it in the oven for 20
Per recipe: 6 cakes
Serving Size: 1= 1286g
Amount Per Serving
Total Calories 190.5
Calories from Fat 35
Total Fat 5g
Saturated Fat 1.7g
Total Carbohydrate 33.6g
Dietary Fiber 4.5g