This is delicious Italian bread that you can make with a bread machine. It goes with many different recipes and is great for sandwiches. This recipe does not take too long and can be repeated as needed.
•4 cups of all-purpose flour (unbleached)
•1 ½ teaspoons of olive oil
•1 1/3 cups warm water (110 F)
•2 tablespoons cornmeal
•1 packet of bread machine yeast
•1 tablespoon brown sugar
•1 tablespoon water
•1 ½ teaspoons of salt
- Put the ingredients into the bread machine pan as instructed by the man-
ufacturer. Start the machine on the Basic/White bread cycle.
- Form the dough into two separate loaves.
- Place the dough on a cutting board seam side down and sprinkle the dough with the cornmeal.
- Cover the dough with a damp clean cloth and let the dough rise for about
35 to 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Beat 1 tablespoon of water with 1 egg
- Brush the loaves with the egg and water mixture.
- Make a long cut along the middle of the loaves.
- Put the loaves on a baking sheet in one fast motion.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Tip: You can also let the loaves rise on the pan instead of moving them for larger loaves.